Visiting your GP is usually the first port of call when you are ill or concerned about your health, but GP’s are under pressure to see a lot of patients and often do not have enough time to listen to all of your concerns and occasionally they might miss something important.
GP’s may also make mistakes and misdiagnose your symptoms or prescribe the wrong treatment or medication. They might also think your symptoms are less serious than they are, and fail to refer you to hospital for the investigations you need, or even refer you to the wrong kind of specialist.
Delays in diagnosing and treating a condition, particularly when the condition is life threatening such as cancer, can result in devastating consequences.
Some examples of claims that our specialist clinical negligence solicitors have successfully made against GP’s for our clients include:-
- Misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis of cancer
- Failure to diagnose and treat Meningitis
- Failure to diagnose congenital hip dysplasia in children
- Drug and prescription errors
- Failing to recognise symptoms of heart attack, pulmonary embolism and DVT, diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis, and pneumonia
- Failing to recognise gynaecology problems in women such as ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts and tumours, and refer to hospital for appropriate investigations
- Failing to recognise male health conditions such as testicular and prostate conditions, and refer to hospital for appropriate investigations
Our clinical negligence solicitors at OH Parsons have a great deal of experience when it comes to making legal claims against GP’s, and will be able to advise you whether you might have a claim.
There are very strict time limits for making clinical negligence claims. Legal action must be taken within 3 years of the negligent treatment, or within 3 years of when you first knew, or should have known, that you had suffered an injury as a result of the treatment. Children must take legal action before their 21st birthday.
Special rules apply to people who are mentally incapable of taking legal action themselves. We will be able to advise you of the time limit specific to your case.
Our Clinical Negligence Team act for clients all over the country and we are happy to travel to you to discuss your claim face to face within 5 days of being instructed. For a free confidential discussion and expert advice please telephone us on 0800 526 368 or click here to email us.
Where to find us
3rd Floor, Churchill House,
Chalvey Road East,
OH Parsons LLP
OHP is a trading name of OH PARSONS LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with Registered Number oc385704. OH PARSONS LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority | 606560. VAT Number: 239 026 763. Any reference to a partner in relation to OH PARSONS LLP is to a member of OH PARSONS LLP.
OH Parsons LLP. All rights reserved.